Meeting new people and relating with them is a wonderful way to reduce uncertainties and make meaningful social exchanges.Some are very nervous in talking to people,don't know what to say or how to "break the ice".Others find it natural to easily blend in with anyone or with any group because they're outgoing,gregarious and expressive.So,what about those who are reserved....shy......quiet......or those who don't talk to people easily?Can they also enjoy the fun and excitement of mingling with people?Well,definitely yeah!What they can do is to understand the theories on reducing uncertainties and making social exchanges.In my case,I am really a shy person and I'm working hard to improve my people skills and so far,I'm enjoying the process and learning new things.Right now,I want to share my experiences during Raiyne's birthday party and high school soiree with my batch mates.
Yesterday was a great day because our block mate,Raiyne,had a celebration in Fiamma Fresh Fridays,a high-end bar.I'm happy to witness her birthday together with my other block mates.She said that she didn't want a princess debut because there would only be a limited number people who would go.Meaning,selected people would only go.When she said that during our SA(Sociology and Anthropology) class,I felt touched since it was generous of her to invite so many people to her party.I was the first one to arrive and this made me a bit restless because the guestlist (with my name on it) hasn't arrived yet so I can't go in and I had no one to be with.Good thing,one of my blockmates,Meryl,arrived after a short while but she was with her friends so I'm still left alone.At least,"better have ONE block mate with me than none"! :D A few minutes went by and my other block mates arrived already arrived with the guestlist.Finally!I was now with them at last!I reduced my uncertainty by talking to my block mates and asked them questions so I can seek information.I slowly getting at ease in the party because I was hanging-out with my block mates.The music was so lively and loud that they danced along with it and I only danced a bit,hehe.We also drank and some of my block mates got drunk and tipsy.After bidding Raiyne good bye,my friend,Gia,dropped me off at my home.That was something I will never forget in my life!
I also remember as one of my memorable experiences the soiree we had in the house of our classmate's friend at Corinthian Gardens who was an ICAn.I went there with my friend going there because I didn't want being alone.We finally arrived and I was so astounded since her house was so big,lovely and conducive for parties and other events.I was about to get a drink when my friend introduced me to her since she was the hostess.Almost getting a drink,I heard her call "Migi" and I thought it was me so I really turned my back but she was referring to my classmate,Mike whom she calls "Migi".So,she said "uyy,tumingin siya"...This flattered me and my face turned a bit sour because it was really said in a flattering way.Good thing,I composed myself or else I could have gotten found out! =))Anyway,I also made an effort in relating with the other girls in the soiree to get rid of my shyness and nervousness.And,it turned out well because I was able to reduce the uncertainties and make good social exchanges.I just have to go out more often according to one classmate of mine.I kept quiet for a while and used passive strategies like observing how the people there behaved so I can easily relate with them.I did this NOT to stalk them ah,haha!It turned out very well,enjoying the rest of the night with my classmates and the girls in that soiree.I went home with a smile in my face,remembering that soiree as the first and last during my senior year.
Maybe,some of you guys could have asked who this girl was?She was third year then and me,fourth year,both high school students.Right now,she's freshman college student and me,a sophomore college student.Did I find her attractive?Well,yes. :D I also found her a gracious and sophisticated person who knows how to engage people's attention and can be flattering,I think....based from that experience with her.I can't tell the name though since some of my friends might know who she is and they'll tease me.But anyway,the details include her being an ICAn during highschool and living in Corinthian Gardens,hehe.
So much for these memories!Every time I think about these meaninful experiences,it inspires me because I know I can handle my shyness and do something about it,even my block mates found me a shy person.I know that I have made a big improvement in relating with people.By mastering and applying the theories,I can will be smooth and suave in meeting new people and relating with them.All I have to do is to reduce uncertainties and make meaningful social exchanges! =))
Migi ah ! Ladies Man ! Haha. Jk.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your friend, you should talk more with other people. When I look at you, all I can see is a quiet guy who rarely joins in the fun. You look so serious all the time. The theories that we discussed in class are really interesting and not to mention useful in forming "relationships" with other people. You mentioned in your blog that you went in a "passive mode", and just observed other people. I do that everytime. Because there might be instances that when you approach someone and just blurted out something, instead of having the desired result you could get a slap or a drink thrown in your face. Haha. Nice blog entry man ! :)
Migi! I'm really glad you went to my party! I knew it was your first time coming to a club like that and I'm very proud of you! I know were weren't able to talk much because I was entertaining all my other guests but I noticed how comfortable you were despite the chaotic environment.
ReplyDeleteI was happy seeing you talking to my English block mate Joyfie and how you two managed to maintain a good conversation. It's good to know how you were able to implement last week's lesson with your real life. Like what Rico said, we've always had this notion of you being the really quiet and timid one in the block, but somehow you've managed to slowly change that perception of yourself. Don't be afraid to express yourself to others and be open to anything!
Haha This is rich. I remember my first party ever. Glad to know you were able to use some of the techniques used by the theory to reduce your uncertainty. Especially like listening and observing first then taking the initiative to go forth and ask for information about the people you want to meet.
ReplyDelete