Saturday, July 9, 2011

People-Reading...Enjoying how it is to relate with people based on who they are

    The lectures in our Comm class as I have observed are becoming more and more interesting.What really got me engaged for this week's lecture was the Kinesic Theory. This was introduced by Birdwhistell,Ekman and Friesen. Now, I also liked this theory because it can give me a chance to understand people's body languages and gestures. In the process of understanding it, I would be able to apply the DISC behavioral approach my mom taught me to know myself and others, and be able to adapt to my own environment. :D

    The "D" stands for Dominance and refer to people who are very controlling and authoritative.I suddenly remember my prefects who always get mad at me before when I wouldn't follow their instructions.They really want to get things done very quickly and are results-oriented people. I normally get intimidated in their presence sometimes but at least I'll get used to them gradually.

   The "I" depicts those who are an "Influence"-er! In my opinion,I view them as party-goers,very lively,sociable and who have charisma.I enjoy their company because they really engage me well. I just don't like the fact that they can be very manipulative sometimes.In this case,I just have to be careful when dealing with them so I wouldn't be vulnerable.

    The "S" is for those who are Steady.I really feel calm and relaxed when I relate with them since they're loyal,soft-spoken,sincere and supportive.What I just don't like in them is the fact that they're not as assertive or tough in critical times.
  
    Finally,the "C" stands for those who're Conscientious.I'm really happy to know that I'm one of them and this inspires me.They value perfection,focused,analytical and task-oriented.They can be overly-critical of themselves and others when they get pressured.Realizing this,it is important for me to be more accepting of myself and others to have a harmonoius relationship with them.

    So,guys,knowing these types,which of them best describe you?By knowing who youare,you can fully understand yourself and others to create a more meaningful relationship with one another! :D

4 comments:

  1. hello migi! i find your blog quite interesting and new. This is because, you have associated our lesson with something dear to you. I believe than you cannot asses people using DISC without taking into consideration how they communicate nonverbally. I have one problem though, i don't know which type i am! xD what do you think i resemble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That DISC thing is really interesting! Yes, the kinesic theory is one way of learning about one's self and the people around us as well. Body language dictates an important aspect of who we really are. Pushing this idea further, we can't always put everyone in a singular box, since we're individuals with varying and colorful personalities. We could make general assumptions like the DISC, but we should be open to other possibilities as well.

    Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is incredible- what she taught you really sums up different communicators. You can use this to understand an audience and eventually know how to relate to it. It is interesting to note how people find different ways to adapt to their surrounding people and places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Juzstine. While I find your mom's DISC approach quite interesting, I'm not sure you were able to fully describe each type in terms of how we can identify them based on their nonverbals. Perhaps you can enlighten us on that a little bit more? :)

    ReplyDelete