I've been an Atenean for 2 years now and I have 2 years left before I graduate.I can say that what has been defining me as an Atenean are not only its culture,activities,lifestyle and values but also its rules and regulations even its resources,perhaps.By browsing through the student handbook of Ateneo,I have become more aware of what has been shaping me as an Atenean student and what will also shape me in the future as well.This I have experienced in my 2-year stay in the Ateneo and will be experiencing it for 2 years more.These rules have helped me in my formation,morality and conduct.I took note of the messages of VP John Vergara,Sir Eduardo Calasanz from the ADAA and Sir Rene San Andres from the ADSA.There messages have inspired me to read the handbook,hehe! :D But more importantly,to understand what it means to be an Atenean by heart,mind and soul.Based on what they said,I learned from the rules laid out in the handbook that they're meant to help in forming one's character so he or she can become men and women for others,serve for the greater glory of God and for the greater service of mankind.Although the rules can stifle our freedom sometimes,by following it wholeheartedly,we can use that freedom in exploring the available opportunities for our personal growth and development.These also help us in growing to our full potential.So,after sharing what these rules can do in one's life,what are these rules that have developed me as a person and a student of the Ateneo way along with its resources?Let me name some of them to get this started with. :D
One regulation that I am already applying is the consulting of professors,guidance counselors and campus ministers.By doing so,these people can mentor me and "take me along" so I can gain wisdom,understanding and knowledge about my subjects and daily life as well.They have guided me intellectually, morally, emotionally,physically and spiritually.Because of this,I became more open to learning,expanding my curiosity as a result.I am normally a curious and inquisitive person who loves to learn.With their guidance and patience,I have become wiser as an Atenean student and will become wiser as I immerse myself with these helpful people.
I also got to understand the importance of wearing my ID.By wearing it,you identify yourself as an Atenean and a student in the campus.It is used to separate the students from the strangers.Speaking about strangers,this rule is very helpful because you would be able to easily identify strangers who don't wear IDs and would want to even hold-up students within the campus.Our IDs also prevent us from getting caught by guards and taking note of these would lead to major offenses.It is also helpful in getting the privilege to enter the Rizal Library (and other facilities) and borrow books from it as well.
I can consider the Rizal Library as a resource that helped me as well.It has helped in my quest for knowledge and understanding.It has helped a lot in my researches too.I want to be a well-read Atenean like Jose Rizal so this resource is an opportunity for me to explore the fun of learning and excitement in immersing myself there.I can also use it as a rest place whenever I need to take a nap for a while before my next subject to gain strength and energy.
These are some of the rules and resources that I have already went through as a student of Ateneo.It is my job as an Atenean to become well-advised with more of its rules and regulations along with its resources so I can venture out more avenues for my learning.I have yet to understand too its long-lasting implications that will help me survive and enjoy my stay in ADMU especially that I have 2 years left.By reading my handbook,following them will be second nature to me and the "expected behavior" of a true Atenean will arise slowly but surely.After all,the handbook is a primer that I need to cultivate my values,skills,character,intellect,potential and faith for the "greater glory of God and the greater service of others"! :D
ADMG! =D
I had never looked at it that way, until I read your blog ... that adapting to structuration defines who you are. Good perspective Migi. If we're new to an organization we still have our old self but sooner or later we get sucked into the system and a whole new person emerges from us. I enjoyed your blog entry Migi! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteOnly after i read this entry did i see things in this perspective. the rules we take for granted and complain against here in Ateneo are actually helpful in making us the people/Atenista we are and will be when we go out into the real world. this entry made me appreciate all the rules and regulations of Ateneo because though sometimes they're a hassle, they mold us into the people we need to be.
ReplyDeleteI described almost the same idea, except that I discussed about our elementary and high school days! :) It's funny how we tend to mock all these rules and people that bind us to follow all of them because we are in such institution. We might hate how these delimit our actions, but nonetheless, these truly help us in forming our own personalities in line with the school's traits and values. In the end, we'll all realize that it was indeed worth it, as if everything conspired to help us become who we are at present.
ReplyDelete