Saturday, August 27, 2011

Adapting to new structures and environments

        Yesterday was a blast and I had lots of fun because of my general assembly in Ajma.It was a great learning experience that I won't forget because I learned something new and that is the skill of adapting or adjusting to new structures and more importantly,basic marketing skills.We normally have to adjust when we are in new surroundings so we can get used to their structures.Adapting is an important skill because it's necessary for our survival and learning.I also remembered my experiences during my freshman year because it was a great welcoming to the Ateneo community and culture.By getting used to these structures,I got a feel how things should be and got myself to be familiar with it as well.Therefore,structuration is an opportunity for me to practice my skills in adapting to my own environment and in the process get assimilated or immersed to new behaviors or actions so I can also use it in social events.Right now,I want to elaborate further on my freshman year and my general assembly(GA) in Ajma (yesterday)! :D
 
       My first experience in adapting was when I was in first year.I was welcomed by my seniors along with my blockmates during the Orsem which is one of the most popular events in the Ateneo.We had activities,games,bonding and icebreakers with each other.We also ate and hanged out when we all had free time and long breaks.We submitted and coped up with the requirements our profs instructed us to do.Each prof had their own requirements and he or she expected us to follow.We experienced our own doses of hell weeks,challenging long tests,backbreaking research papers and lots of home works and quizzes.All of these made us stretch our limits.After a while,we finally got the hang of the Ateneo way and that made us certified Ateneans in the process! :D

       My second experience in adapting just happened recently! I was so glad to be part of Ajma's GA which was "Marketing Myself" talk led by two speakers,Tricia Gosingtian and Ms Bing Paraguas.Before the two speakers came,we were entertained by two hosts,both male and female who are senior members of Ajma.I got attracted to the female host because she was engaging,persuasive,sophisticated and outgoing!=D I felt a bit nervous when I came in because I went there all by myself.Good thing,I saw a friend whom I got to talk to which made me feel at ease.I had to get used to the outgoing structure of Ajma because I'm really a reserved and shy person,quite the opposite of what it means to be a marketing person.Nevertheless,I forced myself to structure my own behavior based on the lively ambience of my GA.I proved that during a game called ""Making First Impressions in 30 seconds".We taped a bond paper on our back and the speaker told us to write our own first impressions of the people we have met in the GA.I really got out of my shell and started talking to the other members and wrote my own impressions on the other members.After the game,the speaker asked us which trait surprised us the most.She asked and I told her,"outgoing" to which she asked "Bakit,hindi ka outgoing?"I just nodded which means a "yes" and the others laughed!:D I was personally surprised too because I got good impressions and they think that I'm "outgoing and confident" despite the fact that I was shy!The speaker also gave us tips on how we can make good first impressions when we apply for a job.I also asked her for more tips after the GA and she,along with her former student and a senior,told me to throw myself in situations where I can go out of myself.On the other hand,the senior advised me to "overdress" and take up an elective in public speaking/presentation.That GA is something I'll really never forget!:D

        The system and structure of Ajma enabled me to become a better marketing person which inspired me while that of the Ateneo inspired me to be a more academically prepared and well-educated Atenean student.The new traits,behaviors,attitudes and actions were a result of fresh act,which is the development of something new as a result of behaviors or actions.So,what is that "new thing" I learned or developed?What I learned are the skills of adapting and making a good impression.Right now,I also have to engage myself in my other orgs and groups to keep learning new things.I learned that good communication is also vital in getting used to the structures of orgs and groups.By assimilating myself to these things,I challenge my own concept of myself.Once I do that,I will get used to novel situations,gain control/size up my challenges and problems,overcome as well and finally,be successful in all my endeavors! =D



1 comment:

  1. Although I welcome the idea of routines, systems, and structures just like you. They do give us a better idea of what to do in several situations and how to respond. But the thing is I also see this as a weakness in the whole structure as well. Think about just doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe the tips you learned in applying for jobs or introducing yourself may work in general but where is the room for improvement or change. The thing is if we keep following the same manual there will be nothing better. I've never believed in the idea of perfection. There is always room for improvement :)

    ReplyDelete